Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pagan meaning of the Summer Solstice

I've always been drawn to the moon as summer lovers are drawn to the sun. I prefer to walk in the twilight hours or night when a blanket of stars surround a full moon. To stand skyclad (au natural) on a beach or deep in the forest to commune with nature charges me with a snap of electric energy. My birthday is on July 18th, I'm a Cancer, the crab and find comfort in all things from the sea and sand. I've had the honor of joining Wiccan covens in the forest for ceremonies surrounding the natural celestial occurrences of mother earth. The one time I walk in the sunlight is during Litha.

Litha, or Midsummer, is one of the four solar festivals observed by many Wiccan and Pagan traditions on June 21st. Litha is an ancient Solar celebration when the sun reaches its zenith in the sky. It is the longest day of the year and the point at which the sun seems to just hang there without moving – in fact, the word “solstice” is from the Latin word solstitium, which literally translates to “sun stands still.” Stone circles such as Stonehenge were oriented to highlight the rising of the sun on the day of the summer solstice.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to enter the drawing for an arc.
    mosiermarilyn@yahoo.com
    Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is a unique and interesting site. As a part gypsy who knows absolutely nothing about my heritage I'll be keeping an eye on this blog. I wouldn't mind a copy of the Red Moon Clan either :)

    Cheers,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete